Sea Island Rotary Club Charity Shrimp Race – Beaufort, SC: Official Rules
- At least 5,000 rubber shrimp will be available for adoption and entered in the race. Shrimp may be adopted from a member of the Sea Island Rotary Club of Beaufort (the “Presenter”). Adoption forms may also be found, and adoptions processed online, at www.RotaryShrimpRace.com. The Presenter is seeking both individuals and businesses to adopt shrimp for a suggested donation of $10.00 per shrimp. A minimum of 5,000 shrimp will race regardless of the number adopted. Winners will be the first ten adopted shrimp to cross the finish line. Chances of winning depend on the total number of qualified entries.
- The shrimp will be dropped into the Beaufort River near the Downtown Waterfront Park at approximately 3 p.m. on Saturday, October 6, 2018. Weather conditions or other interference may affect exact race time. The race course will be established by the Presenter and will end near the Beaufort Waterfront Park. Presenter reserves the right to change or alter the starting location or method at its discretion. If circumstances beyond the reasonable control of Presenter prevent the event from occurring on October 6, 2018, winners will be determined by a random drawing of adopted shrimp numbers. Such drawing will be scheduled and conducted by Presenter.
- All rubber shrimp shall remain the property of the Presenter and handling and possession of the shrimp will be by Presenter only. Prior to the beginning of the race, each adopted shrimp will be assigned a unique number. Where there are multiple shrimp adoptions on one entry form, each shrimp will be assigned its own shrimp identification number. Each assigned number will correspond to a unique number affixed to each of the rubber shrimp. Prizes will be awarded to the adopters whose names appear on the adoption forms corresponding to the qualifying shrimp crossing the finish line in the order detailed in paragraph 5, below. A list of adopters and corresponding shrimp numbers, as of October 6, 2018, will be posted at the event prior to the start of the race.
- Once shrimp are dropped (see paragraph 2, above), they are on their own, except that Presenter reserves the right to manually maneuver shrimp that deviate off the race course. Otherwise, no attempt will be made to interfere with any shrimp unless deemed necessary by the Presenter.
- The first 10 adopted shrimp to file across the finish line will be deemed the consecutive winners. Cash prizes will be awarded per the following schedule:
|1st Place – $2,000||2nd Place – $1,000||3rd Place – $750||4th Place – $500||5th Place – $250|
|6th Place – $100||7th Place -$100||8th Place – $100||9th Place – $100||10th Place – $100|
- Grand Prize Rules:
- The Grand Prize will be the awarded to the adopter of the shrimp that crosses the finish line in the first one hundred positions, i.e., positions 1-100, AND whose shrimp number matches the number which was previously determined by OOP. The Grand Prize Winner will have a choice of a 2018 boat provided by Butler Marine (“Co-Sponsor #1”) OR a 2018 vehicle provided by Vaden Nissan (“Co-Sponsor #2”). The Grand Prize will be a boat or vehicle selected by the Grand Prize Winner from a group of boats and vehicles specifically identified by the Co-Sponsors prior to September 1, 2018. The Grand Prize Winner will be eligible to receive a boat or vehicle from this specific collection and will not be able to select other boats/vehicles in the Co-Sponsors’ inventories. The fair market value of the Grand Prize including tax withholding is $40,000. All manufacturer rebates and incentives will be retained by the Co-Sponsor providing the Grand Prize. The Grand Prize cannot be redeemed or exchanged for cash or substitute goods of comparable fair market value.The Grand Prize of a boat or vehicle will be presented to the adopter of a shrimp that is identified in a contract (“Contract”) between the Presenter and OddsOn Promotions (OOP) and that crosses the finish line in the position stated in the Contract. Payment for the Grand Prize is subject to all provisions, schedules, and specifications stated in the Contract; in no event will the Presenter or Participating Clubs, nor their officers, nor members, be liable for the payment of the prize except through the mechanism of the Contract. Multiple prizes will not be awarded. In the event the winner of the Grand Prize is also the winner of another prize (see above schedule), the adopter will be required to elect which prize to accept. Any prizes not accepted will revert to Presenter and will become part of the proceeds of the event. Presenter makes no representation as to the ability of OOP to make the payments, and in any event a winner of this alternate prize may look only to OOP for payment.
- Prize Winner Qualifications
- The Prize Winner must be age 18 or older.
- The Prize Winner must have a valid (not suspended) driver’s license issued by a State within the United States.
- Under IRS regulations, the Prize Winner is responsible for paying Federal tax withholding upon acceptance of The Prize. The withholding amount is 25% of the fair market value of The Prize. The Prize Winner will be required to provide the following prior to accepting The Prize:
- His or her social security number;
- Payment of the required Federal withholding tax amount;
- Signature on IRS form W-2G.
- The Prize Winner will be responsible for reporting and paying any applicable state income tax. If the Prize Winner is a South Carolina resident a 6% state tax payment will be withheld similar to the withholding of Federal tax prior to delivery of The Prize to the Prize Winner.
- The Grand Prize Winner will be responsible to pay the Co-Sponsor providing the Grand Prize for the applicable sales tax and title fees on the Grand Prize. This amount is estimated to be slightly under $1,000.
- As a condition of accepting the Grand Prize, the Grand Prize Winner shall be required to execute and deliver to the Sea Island Rotary Club and the Co-Sponsor a signed affidavit of eligibility, acceptance of these Rules, and release of liability, with the sole exclusion being the normal boat/vehicle manufacturer’s warranty.
- Prize winners will be announced following the race. Prize winners must be 18 years of age and present valid identification and tax identification number. If a minor wins any of the prizes, that prize will be transferred to the child’s legal guardian. Winners do not need to be present to win. When necessary, winners will be notified by telephone, email or US Mail. If a winner does not claim his/her prize from Presenter within 30 days of the conclusion of the race, Presenter reserves the right to select an alternate prize winner through a random drawing of adoption numbers. A list of prize winners will be posted at www. RotaryShrimpRace.com within 48 hours of the conclusion of the race (or drawing, if needed). By adopting one or more shrimp, adopters release Presenter and their officers, directors, members and other related entities from any and all liability with respect to prizes. All local, state and/or federal taxes are the sole responsibility of the winner. Required Federal and South Carolina taxes may be withheld from winnings. By adopting a shrimp, winners consent to the promotional use of their names and likenesses by the Presenter or by OOP without additional compensation.
- The entry portion of each adoption form must be completely filled out and delivered to the Presenter either physically, by email, or via electronic means on the website www.RotaryShrimpRace.com, by 5:00 PM on October 5, 2018; any adoptions received by mail or electronically after that time may not be eligible for prizes. Also, no further adoptions will be accepted by any means after all available shrimp have been adopted. If not all shrimp have been adopted prior to race day, adoption forms and donations will be accepted at the event up until 45 minutes prior to the announced race time. Mailed adoption forms must be sent to the address found on the form. Entrants assume the risk of non-delivery of any entry. Completed forms can be delivered by hand to an authorized representative of the Presenter or to a designated Shrimp Adoption Center (see www.RotaryShrimpRace.com for complete list of shrimp adoption centers). All un-adopted Shrimp remain owned by the Sea Island Rotary Club.
- This event is subject to all federal, state and local laws and regulations and is void where prohibited by law. The Sea Island Rotary Club, Charity Shrimp Race and its logo are the property of Presenter and no other person or entity is authorized to copy or use them without the express written consent of the Presenter.
- The Presenter reserves the right to distribute proceeds at its own discretion. For further information regarding the intended use of proceeds see www.RotaryShrimpRace.com or www.SeaIslandRotary.org.
- No one is ineligible from participating in shrimp adoptions. Sea Island Rotary Club and Participating Club members, spouses, household members and all sponsors are eligible to win. The Presenter asserts the validity and integrity of the event, and welcomes anyone to witness the race. Inquiries may be mailed to Sea Island Rotary Club – Charity Shrimp Race – P.O. Box 191 – Beaufort, SC 29901.